Back pain, pain on breathing, in mid spinal area. History of spondylolithesis. Treatment?

I have spondylolithesis. I have not had any surgery, and am very aware of my condition. Today, I was standing up from going to the bathroom, and as I pulled up my pants I got a sever sharp pain in my back. It literally took my breathe away. I feel the pain when I breathe.. It did not feel muscular,and when I bend my head forward, my mid back hurts. My legs don t hurt, arms don t hurt, only my mid spine area. I am not sure if I should sleep it off or it is something more serious.
Asked On : Sun, 29 Jul 2012
Ayurveda Specialist 's  Response
1. the most common cause of having spondylolithesis is degenerative changes, thus will involve physical examination and consultation with back pain specialist [orthopedic surgeon], who might ask for X-rays or other imaging techniques [if needed] so an appropriate referral and/or treatment approach can be developed.
2. could be simple muscle strain, or injury to the muscles, ligaments, and discs that support your spine, you should contact your doctor to see if you need further evaluation.
3. depending on the condition that is causing mid spinal pain, option for treatment may include:
i. conservative [Non-Surgical Treatment]: rest,ice,heat,exercises, medications.
ii. Alternative Treatments
iii. Spine Surgery: since had not any surgery, and if back pain does not resolve with simple steps your doctor can help you determine when surgery may be an appropriate treatment for your condition.