Back pain on left side after urinating. Need to see a doctor?

My 10 year old boy complains of back pain on left side right after he urinates. It doesn t happen every time but the pain takes his breath away. It slowly goes away after 5-10 minutes. We discuss drinking more water and staying away fom soda & sugary drinks. In the past when he drinks those he urinates more frequently; sometimes every 10 minutes for awhile. The back pain only happens every now and then but is so painful it s scary. Does he just need to drink more water or is there an underlying issue he should see a doctor for?
Asked On : Mon, 30 Jul 2012