Back pain, moves to ribs and lower abdomen, felt like urinating. Treatment?

About 3 weeks ago, it felt like someone was twisting my muscles or something on right side of middle back and then moved to front right side by lower ribs down to my right lower abdomen. I could not get comfortable and I felt like I had to urinate all the time but nothing would come . It got to the point I was in so much pain I could hardly move. My husband was ready to take me to emergency, but I got sick to my stomach and threw up. Slowly the pain sudsided. Today, same pain started in middle right back again and just feel really uncomfortable right under right rib...a constant ache...like a headache...has not moved to right lower abdomen as it had before as of yet. Maybe back just out of adjustment?
Asked On : Thu, 10 Oct 2013
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
Jul 2013
Hi, thanks for writing to HCM.

All your symptoms are highly suggestive of a Renal colic/Ureteric colic which could be due to an impacted calculus (stone).

For effective pain relief, Urinary specific smooth muscle relaxants like Flavoxate are helpful.

An Ultrasound examination of the Abdomen will help in diagnosing your condition. If this turns out to be normal, a CT scan may be needed.

I suggest you to consult a General surgeon or an Urologist for a detailed examination and further management.

Hope this information is helpful. Good day