Baby was unresponsive. Woke up later. Why does she involve a long time waking up?

I m a mother of a 6week old baby..she has a pretty normal sleeping pattern but my concern is that she is a very heavy sleeper...A few days ago my mother was babysitting and she called me that the baby wasn t being responsive. When I got there she handed her to me I felt she was breathing and alert just not awake...I tried to wake her but nothing. In the ambulance she was pricked on her foot cried but didn t wake up...when we arrived at the hospital she finally woke up hungry and upset cuz she wanted to eat. It s happened a couple times since that incident that I panic try to wake her and it takes a lot of moving her and poking to wake her!! My question is why is she such a heavy sleeper and is this normal??
Asked On : Mon, 7 May 2012

Thanks for writing to health care magic.

Some times few babies are heavy sleepers. But it does not require more than a few strokes on the soles to wake them up. If a baby is not waking up normally definitely the baby requires further examination and investigations by your doctor

Does your baby always have problem waking up? Was a blood sugar done on your baby?

Any other investigations were done like a EEG, Serum calcium etc.

Please reply so that i can answer you better

take care