Exclusive breast feeding till 6 months of age is the best for your baby.
Formula milk especially when given through a bottle is very easy for the baby to suckle than from breast. So chances of overfeeding are more. And when babies are not burped properly after the feed it adds to the problem.
In infants the sphincter between food pipe and stomach is lax due to which reflux happens commonly due to which the contents from stomach come up.
can be life threatening.
To avoid such risks
- Do not overfeed
- Burp properly after each feeds
- Do not put the baby to cot immediately after feeding. Wait for a minimum of 30 min to 45 min by keeping him erect.
- Do not rock the baby after feeds
- Left lateral position (baby`s left hand side down on the floor) will be helpful in preventing aspirations. You may also raise the upper end of the baby by placing a folded towel beneath his shoulder blades.
- Do not leave the baby unattended even when he is asleep.
- If the problem continues, please do not hesitate to visit your Pediatrician- he might need medications to prevent reflux.
Due to numerous reasons, breast milk alone is the best for your baby till he completes 6 months.
Hope my answer helps you.
Wish your baby good health.