Baby has swelling at the back of neck, movable, cannot move head freely. Suggestions?

hello doctor, I m from Mauritius my nephew has developed a swelling at the back of his neck ...i think its moving...he is one year old baby...he s not able to move his head freely,,have been to many doctors....everyone has different opinions.... has given injections , other is talking about surgery..he had fever at the beginning, but now he s playing, eating well but the swelling had harden again, he cannot move his head freely, .please please help...we are really worried...thank you pritee
Asked On : Tue, 20 Nov 2012

I can understand your concerns.

Without seeing the swelling and a proper examination, its difficult to say what swelling it is.
If possible try to post a picture of the swelling in this forum.

Only after examination one will know from which structure is the swelling arising, skin/ subcutaneous tissues/ lymph nodes etc.
The size, consistency, ability to transmit light through it, tenderness/ warmth/ mobility/ fixity to underlying structures etc have to be determined.
Based on examination findings, doctor will order for necessary investigations to arrive at a conclusion.

If its from a lymphnode, look for any infections in his scalp/ ears. On treating the infection, he will get okay.

Hope my answer helps you.