Baby has red spots on spine, does not cry on touching them. Serious?

While giving my baby a bath, about an hour ago, I noticed that he had 3 or 4 red spots on the last few vertabre of his spine . I gently took my hand over them, to make sure that he didn t have any bumps; I didn t feel anything strange or unusual. I also wanted to make sure he wasn t having any pain on or around the spots. He didn t react like it hurt him, for me to touch the red spots. Could you, please, tell me if this is serious and something that I should have him seen by his pediatrician for , or if it is just something that will go away on it s own?
Asked On : Wed, 24 Oct 2012
Pediatrician, Surgery 's  Response
Dear Mum

Please let me know how old the baby is ? is he an infant ?

The common cause for reddish spots over the spine in the midline are what is called 'hemangioma'. These usually get better by themselves as the child grows. However, you must show it to your pediatrician as a midline swelling will need atleast an Xray of the backbone to make sure all is well on the inside. Without alarming you, i would encourage you to atleast post a picture of the red spots on this forum or email them or visit your doctor.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any clarifications

Dr Antony Robert C