Baby has bad appetite, illness, frequent urination, fatigue, excessive thirst. What is wrong?

Hi there. My son is just over 15 months old, he s always been a big baby and on the 90th centile but due to starting walking, fussy periods of not eating and illness (suspected meningitis ) he s lost a little bit of weight and is now on the 75th centile. My question is regarding concerns of frequent urination . He is still in nappies but the last week or so I ve noticed his nappies seem to be soaking wet after 2ish hours and 3 times this week he has woken up in the mornings soaked wet through where he s leaked through his nappy which he has never done before. I half heartedly want to blame the nappies - although they re the same brand (Pampers) we ve gone from Actifit to Baby dry which my husband thinks are rubbish in comparison. I m also aware that frequent urination could be a sign of diabetes. Type 2 is prevalent in my side of the family. What is considered excessive urination and thirst? However my doesn t seem to have any other symptoms of diabetes such as fatigue or excessive thirst. He drinks around 30oz of fluids a day, a morning beaker of 5-6oz of milk and the same before bed and two 8oz cups of juice throughout the day. This is just what we give him, he doesn t ask for it or seem to have increased thirst, just simply drinks what we give him. He doesn t tend to wake during the night but on a couple of occasions he has woken due to night terrors so we have ended up calming him down and giving him a few ounces of milk before settling him back to sleep - I don t think he woke specifically for a drink though but I could be wrong. Because he doesn t wake usually in the night we don t change his nappy either until morning (6.30pm - 7-8am). When he wakes his nappy will be soaking wet on the verge of leaking if not already and he then goes through about 5 nappies throughout the day. This has always been normal for him but for the last week his nappies seem to be wetter than normal. Today, 2 and a half hours after eating (which also included some chocolate) I tested his blood sugar levels with a glucose screening machine I had whilst pregnant (I had gestational diabetes ) and it was 5.4 which I understand is normal. I am going to get him in to see the doctor tomorrow regarding this but I just wanted a bit of an insight and medically opinion as to whether this is normal and could be put down to unreliable nappies or whether its something to be concerned about in relation to possible diabetes. Many thanks
Asked On : Thu, 10 Jan 2013