Baby feel on a protruding screw-hit back of neck-is this serious

Baby feel on a protruding screw-hit back of neck-is this serious? I hope you can answer my concern and hopefully put my mind at ease. My 11 month old fell backwards and hit the back of her neck (location is almost dead center vertically in the back of her neck and a horizontally a little left of center)on a screw that protrudes out from a leg on a little trampoline we have in our living room. It's been about 45 minutes and she's acting fine but I had a 18 month old niece that was hit in almost the same exact spot with the end of a dowel and died 3 days later so it's scaring me to death.
Asked On : Tue, 26 Jan 2010
  Anonymous's Response

same injury in different subject will produce different effects. what is to be done is in all cases of head injury what you need is to observe the child for 24 hours. if every thing is fine than not to worry, if any of the symptom of injury to head like baby becomes drowsy, vomiting, any fits, immideately you need to take the child to ER for the evaulation of the head. watch the baby for 24 to 48 hours at least