Baby does not smile when talked to her. What age should the baby start doing it?

My daughter is 2 months & 28 days old. She still hasn t started giving smile, i.e, she doesnt smile when we talk to her. Though when we tell her to look at the fan above, she looks at it and smiles. She s just started making eye contact now but doesnt reciprocate our smile. Her paedetrician told us that she should have started making eye contact and reciprocating us with smile. Could you pls tell us at what age should a child start doing it.
Asked On : Wed, 27 Feb 2013
Hi ,
Thank you for your query.
I can understand your concern.
The child should recognize and smile at the mother after a month.
She should develop social smile at 3 months.
Kindly consult a trained neonatologist regarding the problem.
Consult your doctor if the problem persists.
If you have any further queries you are free to consult me.
Hope this answers your query.
Wishing a speedy recovery.
Have a nice day.

Physical Therapist or Physiotherapist Pritha Pranjal's  Response
hello ,
by three month child start smiling ,since when baby see something interesting ,baby does smile ..means she has develop smile ability .
but when you talk and expect her to respond as facial expression of smile ..she is not doing that.
is that she move her body or make any other gesture which shows that baby is listening.

please make sure baby have no problem with hearing capacity.take baby for proper ear examination .