BP high, overweight. Family history of strokes, heart problems, swollen feet, ankles, short of breath

my blood pressure is 159/109, I am 57 and overweight . I am supposed to be taking blood pressure pills but havent taken them for a few months now cause of the unwanted side effects. my pulse is 87 and there is family history of strokes and heart problems. lately, I am having a lot of problems with swollen feet , ankles up to knees, and also fingers, hands. I feel ok, however I am tired and sometimes short of breath. Thank you
Asked On : Sun, 6 Jan 2013