Atrophy in left quad, knee pain, bruised knee bone, shorter left thigh. Causes and treatment?

I am a serious athlete. I have developed atrophy in my left quad with severe knee pain and am very concerned. On july 3rd I was running my best and winning 5ks - on July 5th i cannot run. I have visited an orthopedic . He believes it is a bruised knee bone. I am not so sure. My left thigh is still 2 inches smaller than my right after 2 weeks of PT. I also had a foot rash which burned a few weeks ago (from salt water or beachsand). Are there any possible answers to this problem I am having? I am 42 and healthy as a 22.
Asked On : Sat, 28 Jul 2012
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
I want to see your MRI of the knee to confirm the diagnosis. It can be a ligament injury or meniscus tear. Since you are not able to walk normally your thigh is getting shorter and thinner. I would suggest you to show this to a sports medicine specialist as normal orthopaedic surgeon can miss these injuries. You can send your MRI report to me if you want as i routinely deals with such problems.