Asthmatic, want to get rid of addiction to inhaler. What are its side effects?

i have asthma . but i get attacks rarely. Its basically when i mes up. i.e. if i gulp lot of cold , sweets or visit a highly dusty and polluted area. else i have no complaints. My problem is whenever i have an attack i try to avoid the pump or the medicine but i have noticed that when i take the medicine i become a kind of addicted to it and for a few days i have to take the medicine or else the attacks reappear and i also experience sleep problems. I have to really force myself out of the habit of taking the inhaler or the medicines. Hence i wanted to ask is why are the medicnes so addictive and whAT are its side effects.
Asked On : Tue, 19 Feb 2013