Asthmatic, suffered cardiac arrest, on ventilator, suspicion of brain damage. What extent of damages can be expected?

My sister (21) just suffered from cardiac arrest about 3 hours ago; she is an asthmatic and was experiencing difficulties breathing . She was taken to the ER and that is when her heart stopped. The doctors said they performed CPR for about 5-10 mins before the heart began beating again. She is now in ICU on a ventilator and being sedated. The doctor stated that there is a possibility of brain damage and I m scared. What extent of damages should be expected? Was 5-10 mins too long of a time period?
Asked On : Wed, 7 Nov 2012