Asthma, red spot on lung, breathing problems, cough, chest pain and lung pain, want to take scan. Malignancy?

My boyfriend is a veteran and he has had asthma his entire life. Two years ago they found a red spot on his lung and resently that spot went away. However they recently found another spot in his lung and though he had no new symptoms two years ago, he now is having severe breathing problems, trouble at night especially, and is always coughing. He also gets this Sharp pain in his chest , near his lungs. All the doctor would tell us is that he could not rule out malignancy at this time and that they want to take another scan in a few months. However in the mean time my boyfriend can t breath and I m affraid he is going to stop breathing at night. WHAT COULD THIS RED SPOT BE AND SHOULD WE BE MORE WORRIED ABOUT FINDING AN ANSWER NOW?
Asked On : Sun, 10 Jun 2012