As a spouse do I have the right to know what cancer my husband has?

cancer - as a spouse do I have the right to know Hi, about 6 months ago my husband told me he has cancer. About two months ago he told me it was worse then the doctors thought. I am worried to death. He won't tell me what kind of cancer he has so that I can help him. Do I have the right to know? I live in California.
Asked On : Sat, 30 Jan 2010
  Anonymous's Response

Hi.. The basic ethics of a doctor is that he cannot share information of his patients to anyone else apart from the patient.. One cannot share information even to his close family without the consent of the patient.. I understand that being his wife, you would like to know about the condition of your husband. But it could be just that your husband does not want to put you into grief by sharing his miseries.. You need to talk to him, discuss about your marriage vows and he may confide in you..