Arthritis in right knee, knee locking, difficulty walking. Alternative options apart from surgery?

I am a female, 56 years old. Have pretty severe arthritis in my right knee which is getting worse. Went through PT a couple years ago which resulted in me being pain free until something shifted. Having severe pain now. Knee gives out and locks up. Brace helps. Dr. says I m too young for knee replacement . What other options are available for me? I do need to loose about 40 lbs. but it s getting harder to even get around.
Asked On : Tue, 4 Dec 2012