Arm and chest pain. EKG was normal. Why was heart rate elevated?

Hello, my name is Dana and I went to the ER with arm and chest pain! EKG was normal with a slightly elevated heart rate . The doctor ran some blood work and told me that my d dimer was slightly elevated. A chest scan with contrasted was done which came back normal. I also have fibro which makes it very difficult for me to determine what pains might be life threatening. What can cause an elevated d dimer? I was recently put on birth control...should I stop taking it?
Asked On : Sat, 8 Sep 2012