Are there different size BP cuffs and why is it important ?

Are there different size blood pressure cuffs and why is it important to use the proper size
Asked On : Wed, 17 Mar 2010
  Anonymous's Response

It is important to get the right readings. Otherwise you end up getting fluctuated readings due to mechanical disturbances.

General & Family Physician Dr. Radhika Thyagaraju's  Response
yes there are a couple of standard sizes depending on the age and weight. It is important to use the right size as small cuff give false high values and small low values. Also the cuff should be of the right length to cover the arm one full circle. Also certain precautions need to be followed while measuring the blood pressure. I hope i have answered your query. Take care