Are there any disadvantages of getting a suprapubic catheter placed? Have frequent UTI and increased sediment in urine

Are there any cons to getting a suprapubic catheter placed. My father is 77 y/o who s had an indwelling catheter for the past 6 yrs and more recently has been having frequent UTIs and increased sediment in his urine. His URO suggested an SPC but I am worried given my dads age and overall health condition (s/p stroke 79 and very immobile) that it may not be a good idea. My concerns are about the leakage that can still occur through the urethra as well as the location of the catheter externally. He only has 1 functional arm as the other is contracted due to the stroke. I am worried that the waistband of his pants/underwear may obstruct the tubing or possibly move it around because hes using one hand to pull his clothing up/down.
Asked On : Sat, 2 Feb 2013