Are there any chances of permanent lung damage after being diagnosed with pneumonia ?

My husband is in USAF BMT (basic training Lackland AFB, TX). We have little to no contact. He calls me once a week for 15 minutes. He was put in med-hold from contracting pneumonia from his fellow trainee. My husband is diagnosed with and being treated for pneumonia ( antibiotics , motrin, and other meds). I have to ask you/this site about his chances of developing permanent lung damage. Since he was doing physical training at the beginning of his pneumonia and apparently through X-ray the Doctors told him he has a cut/tear in his left lung . And so if it leaves permanent damage, he will be discharged. He does not know what he is waiting for in order to determine this diagnosis. Can someone please tell me (I can t contact his Drs myself or him) what as a Doctor he is supposed to go through before a Doctor will know/see his fate. I suspect and understand that he might be left in the dark so he will not have a bad reaction and hurt other med-hold trainees if they already know he will be discharged and are simply awaiting a flight to put him on to go home. Please tell me does he seem to be doomed to have permanent damage? He coughed up a little blood for 2 days and not anymore. Pain in his chest when he coughs on left side. Other than that his cough is almost gone, he sounds so much better after just 2 weeks of treatment on the phone. Sorry so long.
Asked On : Mon, 25 Jul 2011