Ankles swelling and dizziness after strenuous activity. What could be the reason and its remedy?

I have always been active as a young child and had no health issues. After about 5 years of moderately active, I have, at age 27 started back on a very active lifestyle. Boot camp type workouts. I am 5 8 and weigh 125lbs. Eat healthy , female on no medications . within 2 months of starting my current exercise regiment, my ankles started swelling up after every strenuous activity or even 3 hrs of continuously being on my feet . I can barely tolerate running straight for 3 minutes, (and I used to do track and cross country) without panting and heaving, almost to a groan and going all dizzy. what could be the issue here? I have seen a doctor and still waiting for blood test results . Other than that, I have no clue why my body is responding in this way.
Asked On : Sun, 22 Jul 2012
Thanks for writing to health care magic!

your presentation is mainly of swollen feet, respiratory difficulty after moderate / strenuous physical activity. According to my clinical experience, these symptoms point more towards some cardiac ailment or some renal problem (provided you are otherwise not suffering from any febrile illness or had it recently).
I would suggest you to avoid any kind of strenuous activity till you have your test reports. In your question you have not mentioned your blood pressure reading. If you don't have it, please get your blood pressure checked both in sitting and lying down position. Such swelling usually reduces and goes away after taking adequate rest, and limb elevation. Please avoid standing for long time as it increases the swelling. While sitting it is good to keep your feet over a foot stool to prevent swelling on feet.
These symptoms may have come up because of your sudden switch to strenuous life style from a relatively moderate one, putting pressure on your heart muscles. Doing it gradually would help. from my clinical experience I can say that you should get your basic cardiac investigations done, like: BP, ECG, ECHO and renal function tests. I can guide you better after having your reports.

take care and please feel free to ask further.
Dr. Manisha Gopal