Ankle surgery and plates inserted. Ankle swelling with pain and bruised. Dislodged screws?

I broke my ankle 2 years ago, had surgery and have screws and a metal plate in my ankle. About a year ago my ankle began swelling with little pain, however it was a bit of a nusiance. The surgeon took x-rays and said that one of the screws was coming loose. He stated that unless it was causing pain or discomfort he saw no reason to take the screws out. This past Friday I went on a very easy hike and have been in pretty uncomfortable pain since Friday night. My ankle remains swollen, it is hot, red and seems to be discolored (like a bruise). I have been walking on it, with a slight limp and as the day goes on it is quite uncomfortable. I will go see the surgeon tomorrow to see what he says but I am interested in your thoughts as to what this may be. Is it possible that I have disloged more screws?
Asked On : Fri, 11 Oct 2013
Hi, so far you are comfertable, so the bones part must be all right, the surgeon was telling that one of the screws are loose, so most probably it has become more loose, or dis lodged, and causing the disturbance.
the surgeon after examination, probably remove the screw, and you will be comfertable. Thank you.