Ankle sprained, pain, severe headache, fever popping up. Should i be concerned?

My 13 year old son sprained his ankle 6 days ago. Pain minor That evening. Morning after it happened had a severe headache then ran fever for next 5 days ending yeaterday. Primary care and quick clinic dr ran strep test- negative on day three and four. No other symptoms but fever ranging 100.9 a 103 over the five days and ankle pain. By day three from ankle sprain he could apply no pressure to ankle and in severe pain. Er visit day 6 indicates no break but severe sprain and prescribed norco 5 mg for pain. My concern is the fever still popping up when we have a break in the meds. Er dr said give ankle 5-7 days if no change see ortho. Should i be concerned about this fever? So many conflicting things to read and worried . Thanks for any light you can shed.
Asked On : Mon, 15 Apr 2013