Ankle sprain, wrapped in bandage, taken medicines, persisting pain, difficulty in walking, discoloration on knuckles. Will it subside?

Sprained my ankle 3 weeks ago, went to er not broken, saw no fracture , but couldn t be sure said that may come out later. They wrapped in bandage said ibuprofin and rice. Still hut 2 weeks after to walk on followed up with family doctor, he said bad sprain again rice and ibuprofin. I have been doin all that, now 3 weeks into still aches hurts to walk on (ball of foot inside ankle, front of foot going up leg, and top by middle toes) those toe knuckles still look like little balls. All toe knuckles have purple shade and now, if i am on foot too much (like yesterday) its burning... Family Dr. Said wait 10 more days then come back. I am just afraid I am doing more damage. I am active and want to get back to activity!
Asked On : Wed, 26 Sep 2012