Ankle is swollen for no reason. is it possible that she tore a muscle or even may be broke a bone in her foot ?

Ankle is swollen for no reason. Need help diagnosing the problem. When my mom was wandering around the garage yesterday, she was simply walking, and a cracking sound was heard as she was walking on her foot. She s about 5 1 , 275 pounds, a big lady but she has had no problems walking around until now. We thought something was wrong especially since she cannot put any weight on her left foot. I felt around her ankle and it seems that the upper part of her foot something is bulging upwards. It s starting to bruise and looks quite swollen. is it possible that she tore a muscle or even may be broke a bone in her foot ? Please answer, thank you! A Loving Daughter, April
Asked On : Mon, 21 Dec 2009