Ankle injury, soreness, no swelling, minimal bruising. Taken Ibuprofen, done icing. Sprain?

My son plays youth football and last Thurs hurt his ankle. His shoe and sock was ripped off during a play and he has been complaining about soreness ever since. We have been icing and giving him ibuprofen . There has been no swelling and very minimal bruising. He is saying that it hurts in the area between his ankle and achilles tendon . Tomorrow will be a week. Does this sound like a sprain? I have waited because I was thinking yes but don t want to leave it go it is something more severe.
Asked On : Sun, 2 Sep 2012