Anger problems, mood swings, smoking pot. Is he bipolar? How to correct it?

I think my son maybe bipolar! He has extreme anger is 17 years old and has always had anger problems. He is now smoking pot too. Definetly has mood swings and has huge problems with any and all authority figures. What can I do to seek help? My ex-husband doesn t think there is a problem so he is of no help. I had my son in counseling but now he is refusing to go as his father told him men don t need to talk about there problems
Asked On : Tue, 15 Jan 2013
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

Bipolar disorder is a psychiatric disorder which is characterized by episodes of both depression and mania. Usually, each episodes are discreet and lasts for at least 2 weeks. Merely having anger outbursts and mood swings may not qualify a person for having a Bipolar disorder.

Your son's symptoms could be indicative of an oppositional defiant disorder or these maybe unhealthy personality traits. Smoking pot can often cause a triggerring or worsening of psychological problems. Your son would need a detailed psychological assessment to ascertain the possible cause for his symptoms. So, please take him to a pychiatrist for further evaluation and management.

Wish you all the best.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist
Psychiatrist Dr. Sundar Gnanavel's  Response
Thanks for your query. Simply mood swings and defiant, hostile behaviour does not imply bipolar disorder. A variety of psychiatric illnesses including oppositional defiant disorder, personality disorders can present this way. He has the added problem of substance use too. Hence, i would suggest he seeks a thorough psychiatric evaluation so that appropriate management can be initiated. Hope you found the information useful.
Dr Sundar

Psychiatrist Dr. Srikanth Reddy's  Response
Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query.
From the description that you have given it appears your son is having some serious behavioural disturbances. With the available information, it would not be good to comment on whether he has a bipolar mood disorder or not. What he needs is a proper consultation from a psychiatrist who can identify what his problem is and then can plan out a proper therapy for him. if he denies to come you can talk to him that his behaiour is causing trouble to everyone around him and request him. Or else you can contact the child care services to help you out.
Hope I have answered your query. I will be more than happy to help you if you need any further clarifications.

In case if you want to discuss with me directly you can use the link:
Wish you a good health!