Anger, frustration, drugs issue. What can help?

My niece has Dandy Walker. She has a shunt that is working properly. She is going through a lot right now. Her father has full custody due to mother having a drug problem. Mother is not consistent with seeing child. She has started to act out with anger toward her father and those of us that are with her all the time. We have her in counseling but i was wondering if this could be part of the Dandy Walker. She is 8 and this has just started since her Mother had a new baby that she keeps. Her neurosurgeon just saw her and said everything with the shunt is fine
Asked On : Fri, 19 Apr 2013
Jun 2013
Hi there ~

It is most probably due to the Dandy Walker syndrome as kids usually present with behavioral difficulties when they grow up and it could be a difficult issue to handle. However, someone who is not on substances would be the best person to handle such problems. I think the child needs to be taken care of by a person who is not on drugs. I hope this helps. If you are concerned enough for the child, I would think that you should report this issue to social services or have her mother go through rehab and go off of substances. Just my two cents.

Take care and have a lovely day!
Cardiologist Dr. Anantharamakrishnan's  Response
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

The behaviour disturbance could be a part of the picture...
If the problem is recent / if the shunt is OK - Dandy walker is not likely to be the immediate cause / Psychological assessment and assistance may be useful.
Some basic blood tests are also in order...

Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck