Am pregnant. Have lower pains and pressure. Went into Premature labor. Have high BP. Problem?

I'm 14 weeks Pregnant today and with my 3rd baby. I have been having lower pains and pressure the last couple of days. I wouldn't be worried as much but I went into Premature labor with my First at 26 weeks. I don't want to lose my baby and i get really scared. I also get really high Blood pressure when i get scared and nervous. The last time it was high it was at 180/60 my doctor said. Is the pain and pressure something to worry about or am i just over reacting bc Of my first child?
Asked On : Tue, 15 Oct 2013
Mar 2014
Hi, Its a pleasure to answer this question for you.

If I were your treating Obstetrician, I would not ignore this symptom as you already have a history of preterm labor. Also the worry itself is enough to raise your blood pressure so early on in pregnancy.

I recommend that you get yourself examined as a weakness in the cervix [foremost part of the uterus], or infections commonly cause preterm labor. However , both the causes can be easily treated with bed rest, antibiotics if needed, progesterone supplement and if the cervix is weak by applying a stitch to tighten it [encerclage].
Also since your BP shoots up, it is wise to get a urine examination done for proteins as this may be early onset preeclampsia [a condition specific to pregnancy where Blood Pressure rises and proteins appear in urine] so that it can be treated too.

I would like to congratulate you for being vigilant enough to recognize these problems and seek help early on.

Hope I was able to help. Also please feel free to ask any further questions to me as preterm labor and preeclampsia are my special areas of interest.

Thanks and have a great day.