Alternating between diarrhea and constipation, pain below rib, CT scan showed inflammation. Taken Cipro. What is it?

I will be seeing a GI doctor in 2 weeks to follow up my ER visit yesterday. For a while now, I have been alternating between having diarrhea and constipation . I ve also had a recurring dull to intermitten sharp pain under my right rib. This week, I developed frequent loose stools with mucus and small amounts of mauve blood with cramps in the lower quadrants. Dull pain across the top of my abdomen, still under the right rib cage, but now more diffuse. I have been having a temp every night and wake in cold sweats. Now, my cervical lymph nodes are tender as well. The ct scan from the ER showed inflammation along the transverse colon (ischemia could not be ruled out). I was given iv fluids and sent home on p.o. Cipro for 7 days. I was given the vague diagnosis of colitis and instructed to see a GI doctor to follow up. In the mean time, I am to drink lots of fluids and eat bland foods. I m just wondering if this sounds like anything specific or if I will be facing a lot more tests to get to the bottom of this. Thanks for any information. ~~~ Michelle
Asked On : Sun, 20 May 2012