Alcoholic with severe knee pain. Gall bladder distended, UTI. Referred to gastro enterologist. Why?

My mother-in-law has been weak, sitting in her recliner 24/7 (due to knee pain ) and not even going to the bathroom. She has been using the bedsite portable potty for about a month. She has a history of alcoholism . We just got results of blood work--no sign of hepatitis . Abdominal scan showed gallbladder was distended. She also has a silent UTI. Still has dark urine. Today we were told we were being referred to a gastroenterologist . What are they looking for?
Asked On : Mon, 4 Feb 2013