Alcoholic and diabetic. Noticed bruising all over body and gums bleed. Suggested for oncologist due to platelet count. Necessary?

Hello I am a 38 yr. old male I have diabites and I am also an alcoholic and have been for 5yrs now but drank alot of vodka for the past 3 years I noticed alot of brusing all over my body and my gums bleed alot I am pale and yellowish the whites of my eyes are yellow and I just had blood work done last week and my DR. is now sending me to a oncoligist because my Platelet count is 35,MCV-100,MCH-35.4,AST-162,ALT-51,WBC-6-10 please help me understand what is going on with me why do I have to see a oncoligist?
Asked On : Sun, 28 Apr 2013