Alcohol and heart disease

I have a heart condition (murmur & 1 Repaired & 1 Replaced Valve), Is It okay if i drank alcohol Occasionally?
Asked On : Wed, 22 Dec 2010
sheath underwear is not prescribed normally for your condition, however, I would try some as soon as possible for additional comfort. I am not in a position to answer this question for you, but I know how hard it would be to not drink at all ever, so I feel your pain. Either way if you do drink. Don't drink too much, and don't get down on your self if you do. That will only make the likeliness of damage more. Live free, and give yourself a break. You can do anything. Take a bath, relax and give thanks for your life. Everything will work out just like it is supposed to. Have faith in yourself.
  Anonymous's Response
thanksss for the reply =], how much do you recommend i drink if i decided to on a night out or something if u dont mind me asking ?

General & Family Physician Dr. Radhika Thyagaraju's  Response
since you have a heart condition i would advise you to consult your physician before you have alcohol.
alcohol has been said to have some cardioprotective effect but it is in very little doses and in some people who are said to be healthy.
however since you have undergone a heart replacement surgery you will be put on some medicines which can be inhibited by alcohol.
so i would advise you to abstrain from alcohol and smoking if in case you do.
i hope i have answerd your query.
take care
Cardiologist Dr. Naresh Ruparelia's  Response
Hi well come to HCM.
Since your one valve is replaced there are all the chances of you being on anticogulant
drug like warfarin. How ever your heart condition does not prevent you taking alcohol
in limited amount like One to two pag occassionally along with drug like pantaprozole
to prevent acute gastritis which can result from alcohol and if erosion can give massive
haematemasis due to warfarin or any other anticoagulant you are taking. Thanks
General & Family Physician Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta's  Response
Hello.welcome.Considering your cardiac involvements you are allowed 6 grams of alcohol in a day that is 20 ml per day.good luck.