Alcohol addiction, have bleeding from the roof of the mouth. History of bowel cancer, blood poisoning. How can this be stopped?

Hello My Dad has been suffering from bleeding in the roof of his mouth sporadically for 5 days now. To give you a background he has had bowel cancer , which has been treated and appears fine now. He also had blood poisoning for 2 months over Christmas and was in intensive care. He has given up smoking now, but he was a smoker for a long time. He also drinks (cider mainly and daily). He is 64 years old. Can you give advice on how to stop the bleeding? I am worried that this is mouth cancer. Thanks Lauren
Asked On : Thu, 19 Jul 2012
Hi Lauren,

More than mouth cancer, I would attribute it to the minor esophageal variceal tear that could have possibly occurred.

To stop the bleeding, we need to find the cause of it. If it is due to esophageal tear, then the bleeding veins are to be ligated surgically.

If it is a primary bleed from the mouth, it may be due to aphthous ulcer in view of his general condition. In that case, multivitamin supplements will help him.

Pressure compresses can be used locally to arrest the fresh bleeding.

If it is due to mouth cancer, then again, management will be surgical.

These are only my broad views.

A physical examination would be ideal to know the cause.

Hope this helps.