Aggravating back pain, wake up midnight tossing. Best option suggested is to see chiropractor. Is it correct ?

I have back pain starting subtle a couple years ago but its now to an everyday aggravating sord pain. My whole back hurts. I wake up in the middle of the night tossing and turning trying to find relief. This occurs no matter what bed i sleep in. The pain is now focused On my upper back and on my spine there was swelling a few days ago, unbearable to touch it. That spot has now turned into a bruise , but the pain is so annoying. I got checked out at the E.R. And the dr. Said it was nerve related and the best option is to see a chiropractor. is this correct
Asked On : Thu, 14 Feb 2013