After endoscopy had heart burns. Had hernia. Why are medicines not working? Why do I belch often?

hi - i am a 42 year old female. Six months ago, I had an endeoscopy as I was experiencing heartburn which I had never suffered from before. The examination showed a hiatus hernia (not severe) and my GP prescribed Omeprazole 20 mg daily. Up until now, this has dealt with my symptons but in the last few weeks, the tablets do not seem to be working at all. I have heartburn constantly, I belch often, and at times, I even throw up into my mouth which is really unpleasant. Is it common for a tablet to become ineffective or is it possible that my condition has become worse.
Asked On : Wed, 4 Jul 2012