Advised surgery on 2 disks causing mobility issues and pain due to rugby injury. Is it safe ?

I am due to have surgery on 2 disks causing alot of mobility issues and pain, i am only 30 and this has been going on for 5 years through rugby. I am concerned, is the operation safe? I have been through physio, and injections etc. but not worked, currently i feel ok, but i have bouts of being bed ridden and in agony. I am just scared as its close to spinal cord (is it) my concerns come from the fact a family relative was left disabled through a rugby injury, its just playing on my mind. Any advice would be greatly welcomed.
Asked On : Thu, 20 Sep 2012