Adenectomy done. Acting weird, waking up at night. What could be the causing this?

My nephew had an adenectomy. ( pardon my spelling). He had it 4 or 5 days ago. I called to see how he was recovering and his mom told me he s been acting weird. He can t sleep. He says it still hurts. And he s hitting himself. He never did that before. And he s waking up at night, walking around, and almost like moaning and sobbing??? Could it be a side effect of being put under? We are completely lost?? I told her to call the doctor but I started reading about it online but u never really know what s credible on the Internet..... Any ideas?
Asked On : Fri, 13 Jul 2012
ENT Specialist 's  Response

Welcome in H.C.M.

I have gone through your query regarding post operative discomfort to your nephew, as he had been operated for adenoids about 4 days back.

The symptoms you have told they are met with some patients and these are because of-

1- Post operative swilling in nasopharynx.

2- Eustachian tube obstruction- Swelling in nasopharynx some times blocks eustachian tube opening which results in fullness in ear some times acute pain as well.

3- Blood crust on operated side some times give rise to nasal obstruction and irritation.

So it will be better to cosult your surgeon he will find out the reasion after examining your nephew and accordinly treatment may be plan.