Addiction to eat sponges, I know it's bad and I want to stop for my son. Suggestion?

I have a serious addiction to eating sponges I have done it for as long as I can remember, I ate through mattresses, a couch, many car washing sponges. My favourite at the moment is melamine foam. I know it's bad and I want to stop for my son. But I don't know how I'm to scared to tell someone face to face it's really embaressing
Asked On : Wed, 16 Oct 2013
Pathologist and Microbiologist 's  Response
Hi!
welcome to HCM!
You are suffering from Pica.Pica is characterized by an appetite for substances largely non-nutritive.
There is no single test that confirms pica. However, because pica can occur in people who have lower than normal nutrient levels , you should test blood levels of iron and zinc. Hemoglobin can also be checked to test for anemia along with parasitic infection.
This is a common condition and gets corrected as soon the deficiency is corrected!
Hope this helps!Take care!