Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.
'Hand practice' (known as Masturbation
) considered as a part of normal human sexual behaviour and is is very common among young males in their teenage. It does not have any bad effects on health and does not lead to any medical problems.
Some people have many wrong ideas about masturbation - that it causes ill effects on health like nervous weakness, reduced energy, etc or sexual problems like impotence
in the future. All this is not true and these are just myths and misconceptions.
However, if you feel that your masturbation is excessive or difficult to control or interfering with your normal functioning, you can try the following suggestions:
- Firstly, keep your mind active and occupied at all times. Stop being idle. So, find a new hobby or learn something new (like a new sport or a musical instrument); this will keep your mind form being idle and prevent developing these frequent sexual thoughts.
- Engage in regular physical exercise everyday
- Make plans and goals for your future. This will keep your mind foccussed and prevent your thoughts from getting scattered.
- Improve your social life. Meet friends and relatives, go for outings or group activities and keep yourself busy.
- Remove anything which triggers you into a mood to masturbate. For example, clear your room of all pornographic material; if you access internet pornography, you can disconnect your internet connection, etc.
- You can try yoga
. This can help you develop a discipline of your mind and body and help you get a mastery over your thoughts.
If you feel that you need professional help, then please don't hesitate to consult a psychiatrist
for further personal counselling
Wish you all the best.
- Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar