Addicted to gutka, want to get of this habit. Suggestive tips?

Hi Sir, I am of 30 years. I have a habit of eating gutkha (R.R).. since so many years (appox 12 yrs)... i sweared on my wife also to stop eating gutkha but it doesnt work any time.. and I also tried to stop eating but I am able to do it only for a week days agiain it reapts.. i am very much affraid of this habit and my family memebers... i request you to please help me in this regard.. even I want to get rid of this habit as early as possible.. Plzzzzzzzz
Asked On : Fri, 8 Feb 2013
Addiction Medicine Specialist 's  Response

It is good that you strongly want to give up this habit of eating gutkha. Half the battle is won when you are strong in your desire to quit. The rest half is just a matter of time and patience. Once you stop gutkha, beware of the factors that can make you start again. Avoid being with people who take it as even looking at them chewing can lead to strong craving and make you take it. Also avoid the shops where it is being sold. If you still feel a craving, keep some harmless alternative in your pocket, which you can chew instead. At times, even looking at the photographs of family members also helps.

Take care. Am sure you will come out a winner.