Acute osteomyelitis, drained 2.5 ml puss from ankle, taken antibiotics, sweating during sleep. Solution?

hi i am saji fm jammu my son is suffering for accute osteomylitis since 17 feb 2012 got operated at ankle made 4 drill holes and drained 2.5 ml puss ,wond still open but healing without discharge took antibiotics for 5 weeks injectable for 3 weeks now doctor stopped antibiotics x ray show 4 little patches on distal dibia which indicates infection patient is excessively sweating during sleep pse tell me what is the condition of my son how long will he be able to stand on foot and what are the chances of reoccurance
Asked On : Wed, 28 Mar 2012
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
Osteomyellitis is bad disease of bone and takes time to heal some time years. If there is no pus coming out and wound is well healed, then you can get blood investigation like ESR and CRP. These will test if there is still some pus inside bone. Also if there is pus inside patient will continue to have fever, night sweat. It would be better to completely pen the bone rather then doing some drill hole ,this procedure is called saucerisation.