Acne spreading to back and scalp. Taking garlic pills. Is there a permanent remedy?

Hi Doctor, I am 21 years old and I have had acne since I was in middle school. In high school it reached to my back. A few years ago I started getting acne on my scalp as well. The type on my scalp is pus filled bumps and there are a LOT of them. It is very, very painful. I can't sleep at night sometimes. A dermatologist told me it was bacteria but she didn't give me any other information on what it is/ how to treat it. She gave me antibiotics for my acne in general but I had a reaction to it. About 1.5 years ago i stated taking 1000mg garlic pills (twice a day). These work wonders except that when I miss even just one pill one day, all the bumps on my scalp come back and again start going away about a week after continuing the pills. It's great that the pills control the situation, but I don't want to take them forever. Could you please help me find a solution to really get rid of this bacteria on my scalp. I believe it may be necessary to address an internal issue as well, but I'm not sure what (liver, kidneys...?). Thank you.
Asked On : Sat, 20 Apr 2013