Acidic feeling in throat, choking sensation, phlegm, difficulty breathing, burping. Causes and treatment of symptoms?

sometimes i wake up at night with acid in my throat and i am throat is closed off with phlegm and acid and it burns really bad..i stand up really fast and i cant breathe and after trying to swallow it down for a while my throat will open up and i will start burping up a lot of air...i feel like i am drowning...its really scary and the acid really burns
Asked On : Wed, 11 Jul 2012
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

It is possible, based on the symptoms that you have described that you may have gastroesophageal reflux disease.

This causes a burning sensation in the chest and an acid taste in the mouth. It is also often worse at nights or early morning.

It is treated with lifestyle changes and medication. The lifestyle changes involve (1)using small meals
(2)reducing the use of fried/fatty/spicy or acidic foods
(3)weight loss if there is any excess weight
(4)waiting at least 2 hours after eating before laying down

There are also medications that are effective in treating reflux.

Examples are prevacid, prilosec, protonix, nexium, acidphex

I hope this helps