Acid reflux, excessive belching, sensation of food stuck in throat, nausea. Taking omeprazole. Cure?

Hi I had accid coming back in my troat for a put me on omeprazole 10mg and I managed. Last month acid was coming back with lots of symtoms exess saliva ,burping.feelig like food stuck but I eat normally . Last week seen doctor [junior] put me on omeprozole 40 mg and referal to GI doctor. Now its bothering me like mucus in troat and need to burp for long time some days like I have to force burp and feeling like sick . I am very anxious person and this so uncomfortable. Thanks.
Asked On : Fri, 25 Jan 2013

Thank you for the query.

Your symptoms can be caused by acid reflux disease. However it can be also peptic ulcer, or even stomach cancer. That is why, every symptoms like yours should be diagnosed first, before any long term treatment. To do that upper GI endoscopy should be done. It will rule any stomach diseases out and will also check if there is any Helicobacter Pylori infection. This infection should be treated and without it your symptoms wont go away.

Hope this will help.
General & Family Physician Dr. Azhar's  Response
There is nothing to worry about visit your Gastroenterologist to have an endoscopy and to check the presence of any inflammation in the stomach or competency of lower oesophageal sphincter.

Take omeprazole 40mg in the morning before breakfast and 40mg in the evening before dinner.
Avoid chillies and fried food.
You will be fine.

I hope I am succesful in solving in your query if you have more you can ask me
Dr. Azhar Sattar

General & Family Physician Dr. Polash Sannigrahi's  Response
Jun 2015
Hello dear...
The symptoms as mentioned by you suggest that you might be having Gastro esophageal reflux disease, which is caused by the reflux of acid from stomach to esophagus due to relaxation of the sphincter at the lower part of esophagus.
Medical management consist of taking Proton pump inhibitors like Omeprazole, Pantoprazole,etc. (which prevent acid formation in stomach)
Metoclopramide can also be used but it has some side effects on long term usage.
Also avoid consuming irritating substances such as acidic & rich foods, caffeine, nicotine, and alcohol.
Try to sleep on the left side, or with your upper body raised.
If symptoms still persist, it will be better to consult a Gastroenterologist.
There is no need to will be fine.
Wish you a good health & speedy recovery.
Thanks & Take care.