Aching discomfort on left shoulder, neck, armpit all the way to elbow. What can this be?

I m 23 years old. and monday night i had an aching discomfort on my left shoulder neck armpit all the way to my elbow and i took over the counter pain meds and it went away after awhile then tuesday night it started again and i took the meds again and it didn t go away i finally fell asleep and i woke up with the same feeling this morning. what can this be? I have never had anything wrong with me before.
Asked On : Sat, 9 Mar 2013
Hi and thanks for the query,
the pain could either be a mechanical pain or due to an inflammation. Distinction between these two depends on clinical findings and laboratory examinations. This distinction is important for the management plans shall also be different.
An X ray of this region is very important. Blood tests to determine the erythrocyte sedimentation rate, rhumatoid factor, ANA and a complete blood count are necessary.
Consulting the rhumatologist is very important for you at this stage.
Thanks and best regards,
Luchuo, MD.