Accidental swallowing of staple found in the food. Will it cause harm?

My boy friend and I were just eating Chinese food and he discovered that there was a staple in his food when he bit down on it but luckily he was able to spit it out, however He then got a little worried when he felt a slight scratching in his throat and since we dont know how the hell the staple got into his food he is worried that he could have swallowed another one on accident. If he did is it anything to b worried about?
Asked On : Fri, 30 Nov 2012
Proctologist 's  Response
though a closed stapler is comparatively less harmful than an open stapler pi, I suggest you take an X-ray of your neck, chest, stomach & pelvis.
please donot panic as if whatever the thing accidentally swallowed is less than 1cm , chances are that it be passed in stools.
take care
wish you good health
Dr. Pravin Gore
Laproscopic colorectal surgeon & proctologist.
Mumbai - INDIA