Abnormal vaginal discharge. Started using the birth control pill. Is it a side effect?

I have recently been put on the pill about 2 months ago and I got my period a few days ago, and today as I went to have a shower I removed the tampon and there was this long skin-like stuff coming out just as I removed it. It was whitish and red and didn't smell anything like periods do. I've never had this before and I'm quite concerned. I'm 16 and sexually active, I don't know if it could be a side effect of the pill or not
Asked On : Tue, 16 Apr 2013