Abnormal blood results. Prescribed Amitriptyline. History of knee replacement. Swollen knees, pain, rash on shins

I'm really concerned about my dad. I took him to doctor today for blood results she said they were abnormal and looking at prostrate and liver function again.
While there I explained that he hadn't been sleeping as my mum had just passed away. She prescribed amitryptiline ?
I also said I was worried about his knees he had a double lee replacement almost 10 years ago and that his knees had become very swollen and he has a shooting pain going up them also a rash on both shins has appeared.
As well as this I am worried about his breathing he does smoke but he has become very very out of breath almost to the point he is really struggling she just listened to his chest and said it was clear. She said she was very busy and didn't have time for all the ailments. He has been told he can't take the cocodamal for his shoulder which he has an appointment for as he needs a scan. So has led him with nothing apart from 1 amitryptiline a night. Even though he is in excruciating pain with both shoulder and knees. To the extent he is in years. Can you help or advice if I should take him to a n e?
Asked On : Mon, 15 Apr 2013